Massachusetts Chapter Houses and Properties
Peck House, Attleboro Chapter, NSDAR
Although not named for a Patriot, this chapter paid homage to Joseph Peck, who was one of the persecuted English gentries who fled to America in 1638 in the ship Diligent. His grandson, Hezekiah Peck, came to Attleboro in 1706. The home he lived in was destined to be destroyed for a new street, but the Attleboro Chapter, NSDAR, bought this house converting it into a historic house museum.
Betty Allen Chapter, NSDAR, House
This beautiful house is a notable example of early New England architecture, with its fine paneling, fireplaces, and unusually handsome carved stairway, copied from the pulpit staircase in King's Chapel, Boston. Built around 1754 by a member of the Clapp family, it was formerly the home of David Monroe Clapp, a farmer, who "owned the land way back to the meadows."
Deborah Wheelock House
This modest, low-roofed, red house is owned by Deborah Wheelock Chapter, NSDAR, a gift to the chapter in 1910 from Mr. and Mrs. William E. Hayward. In renovating the house, the chapter kept its lines unchanged, replacing timbers only where necessary because of decay. The broad gables, massive central chimney, original narrow windows set with small panes of wavy hand-blown glass, and simple but beautiful doorway are all as they were built in 1768 by Simeon and Deborah (Thayer) Wheelock. The interior is all preserved as nearly as possible like the original, except in the arrangement of the floor plan, and the addition of modern heat and light. The assembly room’s low ceiling is supported by the original, hand-hewn, oak beams. The removal of a fireboard disclosed the large brick fireplace, pot hooks, and crane, flanked by a brick warming oven.
Mansfield Chapter, NSDAR, House
The Mansfield Chapter, NSDAR, house, built in 1831, was on land owned by the Reverend Roland Green, American Revolutionary War chaplain of the Mansfield Company, who came to Mansfield in 1761. Green was a pastor and a Patriot. When the American Revolutionary War began and the town fell one short of filling its quota of soldiers, he stepped down from his pulpit, shouldered a musket, and marched off to war. He returned unharmed and resumed preaching. The house has been remodeled but retains most of its original structure, and was a gift to the chapter by Alice I. Cobb. Great care has been taken to lay the foundation of the Mansfield Chapter, NSDAR, which was incorporated on January 7, 1930.
Colonel Timothy Bigelow Chapter, NSdaR, Worcester, MAssachusetts
-The Oaks is set back from the street and down a little slope. This adds much to its setting as do the old oak trees surrounding it. It is reached by an attractive flagged walk or by an elliptical drive in the center of which is an interesting old Indian mortar. An old door with a brass knocker leads into an attractive hall from which opens a library and drawing-room. A hall runs through the first floor. The drawing room with its fireplaces, fascinating old pictures, and attractive furniture is indeed dignified. One of the pictures was copied in petit point and contains some 5,000 stitches. Beyond the breakfast room is the dining room, which was probably originally the kitchen, it has a large fireplace with a brick oven. In this room was a table at which Whigs and Loyalists are said to have sat, not the least of the former being John Adams, Worcester's celebrated school teacher, who taught Timothy Bigelow, and later became President of the United States.
Prudence Wright Chapter, NSDAR, House
Built in 1831 as a schoolhouse, there were originally two rooms with two chimneys. Small children were taught in one room and larger children in the other. In 1877 the building was converted into a fire engine house, and in 1898 the Prudence Wright Chapter, NSDAR, started using the building. At March 21, 1901, Pepperell town meeting, the town voted to lease the building to the chapter since it was no longer needed as an engine house. As the large double doors were not needed, they hired Charles S. Parker, great-grandson of Nathaniel Parker who left his plow in the field off Townsend Street to go join the minutemen, to do the masonry work. Under the driveway leading to the building was the quantity of old brick that had been taken out of the building in the first place; a perfect match. Old Chelmsford glass windows with 137 panes were replaced in 1975. The kitchen and bathroom were added in 1985, and a new roof and furnace in 2012.
All photos appear courtesy of MDAR Chapter Members.
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
DAR and Related Links