Old Concord Chapter

National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
Concord, Massachusetts
Organized October 12, 1894
Chartered March 15, 1927


On October 4, 1881, Harriet Stone married her publisher, Daniel Lothrop of Boston.  On May 25, 1883, they bought The Wayside, and on July 27, 1884, their only child, Margaret Mulford, was born in Concord at The Wayside.  In addition to being a mother and author, Harriet Lothrop was active in numerous social and patriotic organizations.  Of all these, the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Children of the American Revolution were, in all probability, the most important to her.  Mrs. Lothrop organized the Old Concord Chapter and served as its first Regent (1894-1896).


Inquiries about membership and activities are welcome and should be directed to

Chapter Regent

Helpful Links:
Massachusetts Daughters of the American Revolution
National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
National Society Sons of the American Revolution
National Society Children of the American Revolution
Minute Man National Park
Save Our Heritage information about the Col James Barrett Farm
Concord Library and Old Concord Chapter DAR

Site maintained by Patrice V Hatcher,  Webmaster

The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations or individual DAR chapters.






This page was last updated: July 29, 2013
In 1895, Mrs. Lothrop founded the National Society Children of the American Revolution and organized the North Bridge Chapter C.A.R.  She served as National President from 1895-1901 and was made Honorary President for life in 1901. At the time of her death in 1924, the C.A.R. had a membership of over 22,000.

In addition to the above activities, Harriet Lothrop helped preserve for all Americans of future generations four historic sites in Concord: The Wayside, Orchard House, The Grapevine Cottage and finally, the "Old Concord Chapter House," now known as the Pellett-Barrett House, one of the oldest houses in Concord.


Mrs. Harriet Mulford Stone Lothrop, Chapter Founder
Harriet Mulford Stone (Mrs. Daniel) Lothrop, (better known by the pen name, Margaret Sidney, as a writer of children's books), was born June 22, 1844, in New Haven, Connecticut.   She was graduated from the Grove Hall School in New Haven.  From early childhood she wanted to be a writer.

In January 1880, the story that was to assure her place as a writer of American Children's literature began to appear in serial form in Wide Awake, a children's magazine.  The story was called The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew.  During the next 36 years, Mrs. Lothrop wrote over 40 books in all, among them: Old Concord:  Her Highways and Byways (1898), Whittier with the Children (1893), Little Maid of Concord Town (1898), Little Maid of Boston Town (1910), and the last book she wrote, Our Davie Pepper in 1916.

On August 2, 1924, Harriet Lothrop passed on while living in California with her daughter, Margaret Mulford Lothrop.  Margaret brought her mother back to her beloved Concord, and she is buried on Authors' Ridge in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, Concord, Massachusetts.  Margaret Lothrop later made The Wayside her home.  With great pleasure, on June 22, 1965, she transferred the property to the Minuteman National Historical Park.

Robert T. Derry, Park Ranger
Minuteman National Historical Park
July 21, 1983, Concord, Massachusetts
Concord, Massachusetts...

The town of Concord, Massachusetts, is a lovely historic town where, on April 19th, 1775, the second battle of the American Revolution was fought. It was home to many of the illustrious men and women who made Concord the center of the 19th century literary renaissance. Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Henry David Thoreau, Louisa May Alcott and Bronson Alcott lived here and are buried in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, along with Daniel Chester French. Daniel Chester French was the artist who sculpted the statue of President Lincoln in Washington, D.C., and the Statue of the Minuteman. Another resident, Ephraim Wales Bull, cultivated the Concord grape. His home was called "the Grapevine Cottage."