This page was last updated: May 7, 2016
Inquiries about membership and activities are welcome and should be directed to
Cape Ann Chapter, NSDAR
Organized November 18, 1925
Chartered March 15, 1927
The town of Rockport, Massachusetts, is situated at the tip of Cape Ann, which includes the towns of Gloucester, Manchester, Essex, and Rockport. Cape Ann was known for its busy fishing villages during the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries. During the 1800s, it was discovered by artists because of its magnificent light and beauty. Today it is a tourist attraction filled with shops, galleries, and restaurants. Artists still come to paint its scenery, and it is still haven for fishermen and day sailors. The lobsters and fish are great! The area has never lost its quiet splendor and beauty.
Cape Ann's Thacher Island Twin Lights
Here is a history of "Cape Ann's Thacher Island Twin Lights."
The first settlers at Cape Ann in 1623 came for the fishing. Its location on the Northeast coast of Massachusetts was ideal. The coast is very rugged and rocky with many ledges which are extremely hazarous to boats. In 1771 John Hancock who was invested in shipping requested the General Court to build a lighthouse to warn the sailors of the ledges in the area. Two 45 foot high towers were erected on a perfect north/south axis on Thacher Island which enabled fishermen to line up the lights to determine true north. The twin lights are nicknamed "Ann's Eyes." In 1861 the two towers were replaced with 124 foot high towers. For almost 250 years the twin lights of Cape Ann have helped guide the fishing fleet of Cape Ann home.
The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations or individual DAR chapters.
Current site designed and maintained by Ellen McGrath, webmaster.
Cape Ann Chapter
We have a variety of programs throughout the year honoring our veterans, learning about and preserving our history, and supporting our schools. In December we cap the year off by having a Christmas luncheon at a local restaurant where we honor the high school seniors of eleven schools as "Good Citizens." We, also give out donations to local community organizations that support our ideals of education, historic preservation, and patriotism. We have a good time doing these things and enjoy each other's company!
The Origin of our Chapter's name
The name "Cape Ann" is historically significant because it was given by Prince Charles (later Charles I of England) in honor of his mother, Ann of Denmark, in 1614, when Captain John Smith presented the Prince with a map after exploring the New England coast. The Cape Ann Chapter was organized on November 18, 1925, and chartered on March 25, 1927.